Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Patrick Martinez



































When I was younger, I always thought that it was really... for lack of a better word, retarded, when people would look at a painting and say that they identify with the artist. I think it is mainly due to the fact that the artists that usually gain major metropolitan coverage are older, often dead, and from situations that I could never personally relate to. In the mid 90's I was fatefully introduced into graffiti, via my sisters boyfriend at the time, C-low/NO2. I had always seen graff on the walls and during trips up north, but I had never personally known someone who was actively doing it. My mind was blown. No more Bob Ross, no models, no canvas, no nothing. It was you, your imagination and the amount of balls you had to go for it. It wasn't, "hey will you look at my painting," or, "hey will you check out this sketch." It was there. It was something they would shake their heads at or take in with a nod and a "fuckin kids" grin. But they always saw it.

Now some fifteen years later, to see an artist like Patrick Martinez doing it big and getting recognition from it is amazing. A style that is obviously infused with traditional and street concepts mixed with a shit load of different mediums and canvases allows for Martinez's truthful, political and satyrical subject matters to come across with an entertainingly smooth bluntness. I can only hope that he continues to work prolifically. Beyond that he is also an easily accessible person, who responds to his email promptly and personally. His work is also very reasonably priced. I completely intend on coppin some pieces hopefully in the near future.

Keep pushin out the good work!

Andrew


patrickmartinez.com

No comments:

Post a Comment