Friday, March 5, 2010

El Mac y Retna



















In keeping with the previous post, I wanted to put up two of my favorite, and with all of the attention they're getting probably two of your favorite, artists El Mac an Retna. My girl and I had the opportunity to see the show "Vagos y Reinas" that they had locally in the Robert Berman Gallery a couple of months back when it was still warm. It was fuckin awesome. From the portraits, and oil paintings to the collaboration and the three dimensional calligraphy pieces, everything left my jaw wide open. I was super impressed by the texture given to the huge portrait pieces by El Mac. The way he creates a kind of topographical cross etching that follows the contours of the subjects and the shadows is mind blowing. Sincerely all the critical acclaim that these two are receiving is well deserved. The prints and the books were sold out, which fuckin blew but, I did manage to cop a limited edition Upper Playground x El Mac x Retna x Montana autographed and numbered aerosol can, Boooyeah!!.



















Which will remain in its box, hidden and stowed away so that only I can go and rub it against my face during my lowest depressions or when in need of inspiration. How is that for contrast.

Here are some pieces.

peaces










No comments:

Post a Comment